50th Annual Cut Bank Booster Invitational

The Shelby Coyote grapplers were busy once again this weekend starting with a mixer that was relocated to Shelby.
The Coyotes picked up the slack and hosted a mixer at their own gym when it was announced that Chester-Joplin-Inverness was not going to have a team this season. Teams from Circle, Malta, Harlem, Chinook, and Poplar attended the event which was a precursor to the weekend’s main event at Cut Bank. The main event was the 50th Annual Cut Bank Wrestling Booster Invitational. It is a two-day event hosting teams varying in school size from all over the state. 26 teams to be exact.
The Coyotes fielded four wrestlers at Cut Bank: Tabris Correa (132lbs), Tyler Larson (145lbs), #2 seed Wyatt Brusven (145lbs) and Matthew Riehl (182lbs).
In the first round of competition, Tabris started things off right with a win by fall in 5:06 against Sidney Cooke of Whitefish. Tyler and Wyatt both had byes. Matthew would also prove to be victorious with a win over Isiah Stiffarm of Havre by fall in :44. It was a great first round for the Coyotes.
Like any bracketed tournament, the competition would prove to get tougher as the day went on. Tabris would lose his second bout by fall in 2:34 to Dawson Tuttle of Great Falls High. Tyler would waste no time against Patrick Follet of Frazer winning by fall in :22. Wyatt would also pick up his first win defeating Kyle Evans of Cascade by decision 6-2. While Matthew would face the number one seed Garrett Graves of Lincoln County (Eureka) and lose by fall in 1:13. Graves would eventually win the 182 weight class. 
In the first round of consolations for the Coyotes, Tabris would win in dramatic fashion by decision 13-11 over Sage Hutchinson of Wolf Point and Matthew would lose to Brayden Stadel of Havre by decision 9-3 ending his day and his tournament. In the quarter-finals, Wyatt and Tyler would square off. This is the unfortunate part of having two wrestlers in the same weight class. Wyatt would win the battle by decision 7-2.
Looking to make a statement his freshman year, Tabris was determined to make it to the second day of competition. He would match up with Eli Hauptman of Jefferson and would win by fall in 1:53 giving him a second-day ticket.
On day two, Correa would start the day against Trevin Smith also of Great Falls High. Tabris would lose the bout by fall in 2:05. Tyler would face Duane Otto II of Fergus/Lewistown and also lose by fall in 2:21. Otto II would eventually place 5th at the event. In the semifinals, Wyatt would square off with Connor Harris of a tough Havre team. Brusven would lose the match by decision 8-3. Harris would eventually go on to win the 145lb weight class. Undeterred, Brusven would battle back and defeat Jack Eisenbarth of Whitefish by decision 6-1. Eisenbarth would eventually place 6th. With the win, Wyatt was placed in the consolations finals against a tough opponent in Trey Taylor of Circle. The match had all of the implications of a state championship match. Brusven would prove to be the victor winning by decision 4-2 giving him 3rd place. Brusven placed 3rd last season at 132lbs. With only three official scoring wrestlers, Shelby place 21st out of 26.
After losing out of the tournament bracket, Matthew, Tabris, and Tyler would pick up more mat time at the JV mixer held in the Cut Bank Elementary gymnasium. This is also an annual event offered by the Cut Bank Booster Club for wrestlers that lose out of the tournament.
The Coyotes will travel to Fairfield on Thursday for a mixer with wrestling slated to begin at 5:00 pm in their high school gym. The 39th Annual Choteau Classic will be also held this weekend on Friday with pigtail matches starting at 1 pm and wrestling Saturday at 11 am.
Watch sporting events, get scores and stay up-to-date with Montana High School Sports.
Visit the MHSA website.